Why Ultra Violet Light is Ineffective against Mold Removal

Cold weather can increase mold.The cold weather is here, furnaces are working overtime, and with 64,000 people per year dying from diseases linked to particulate such as mold in the home and workplace, you cannot afford to be left in the dark.  So, what is the truth about ultra violet light and its’ effect on mold spores?  The fact is 92 million people live in places where their air quality does not meet the standards to which they should be living at.  According to the EPA “if mold is growing indoors, it must be removed”.

Controlling moisture is the only way to ensure that the home and workplace remain mold-free.  As mold spores are in the air around us at all times we must set a plan in motion to prevent them from surviving or colonizing in and around our homes and offices.  Preventing indoor mold growth includes things like making sure the ground slopes away from the home, keeping the home or office free from water, maintain the humidity below 60%, venting the clothes dryers to the outside and keeping areas well ventilated.  There are occasions where theses great tips are just too late and we find ourselves in a moldy, smelly, damp and uncomfortable situation with our health taking a turn for the worst.

UV light  is ineffective for mold removalWhen companies claim that they battle mold using ultra violet light, it sounds incredibly attractive to potential customers, it sounds “cutting edge” and it sounds like the latest, greatest technology. Who wouldn’t want to enter a basement like Luke Skywalker with their ultra violet light saber, ready to do battle with the “dark side”, in this case mold.  As great as this all sounds, let’s talk about why this is not only not the most efficient way to battle your mold problems, but why it can leave you with continued mold growth and health problems.

Ultra violet light breaks up the DNA of mold and mildews which results in the sterilization of the mold.  The concept is great if it were that easy.  Ultra violet light only works if the light is held 1-2 inches from the effected surface and depending on the surface, takes anywhere from 2-10 seconds in that area to effectively kill the mold.  As the distance the light is from the wall increases, the intensity of the light decreases and renders the process ineffective.  This process when done correctly supposedly kills 99% of the mold.  Now let’s assume there is one million mold spores in an area, that means at the end of this process, there are still 10,000 living mold spores that are colonized and still reproducing in the supposedly treated area.  This is a painfully slow and ineffective way to treat mold, not to mention ultra violet light exposure is harmful to people and all living organisms.  These lights emit ozone that is bad for our lungs, emit ultra violet radiation which is bad for the skin, damaging to the eyes and the immune system.

The proven method for removing mold from a property is wetting it with a disinfectant which will keep the spores from becoming airborne, deep cleaning the populated areas by wire brushing, which allows the product to kill mold deep in the crevices, followed by encapsulating the areas which always includes a 10 year fully transferable warranty when completing your remediation with EnviroTech.  During the remediation process, hepa filtration should always be used.  Hepa filtration is highly regulated and must follow strict guidelines.  This type of filtration is the only proven way to remove all airborne mold spores from 1-5 microns in size.  Mold in the home causes severe health risks.  As Brian and Julie from Cleveland, Ohio know; mold symptoms can be as small as a cough or a severe headache, as experienced by this couple, to something as severe as death, especially in immune compromised individuals such as the elderly and the young.

When it comes to mold, please don’t rely on gimmicks, hire a professional like EnviroTech who can safely and properly remove the mold and rely on proven air cleaning methods like heap filtration to keep the air you breathe free from mold spores and other particulate contaminants.

 Mold in the Home