Mold: Something to Watch For

These days everyone seem to be paying more attention to their health; so why not take the same care in maintaining a healthy living space?

There are a lot of different health concerns in the home. Some are easy to deal with, others are not. One of the more substantial health hazards in the home is the potential presence of mold.

Mold is a naturally occurring fungus that is usually found lurking in dark, damp environments. Ideal places for mold to grow include attics and basements. Another place that mold can find a foothold is in appliances, such an indoor vented dryers or humidifiers. Mold is also commonly found growing on organic materials, such as wood, which means that there are likely quite a lot of places in your home that mold could be hiding.

The presence of mold can introduce allergy-like symptoms, like itchy eyes, congestion, runny nose and sneezing. People who have existing respiratory conditions will likely to be hyper-sensitive to the growth of mold. It can have a serious effect on those who are allergy-prone or those with a compromised immune system.

If your home is watertight, as it should be, then mold should not be a huge concern. Mold usually indicates that there is a leak or moisture of some kind nearby.
Mold can easily take over a home after a flood. This is why it is critical to ensure that your home is dried quickly and properly if a flood does happen. In cleaning up after a flood, there are some simple things to remember if you want to ensure that mold does not develop.

  • Keep the temperature and humidity low – Mold thrives in a warmer moister atmosphere.
  • Throw any objects or items that have mold on them – If you cannot throw them away, freezing them should kill active mold spores.
  • Make sure the area is bone dry – If you keep the area dry, chances are that mold will not develop.