Everything is Not As it Appears

indoor airBuffalo, NY – The air quality in your home may not always be as it seems.  Though you may not feel it on your skin, your lungs are usually the first to feel it if there are toxins in the air.  The causes of indoor air pollution vary from region to region, home to home, and even be from room to room.  Radon, asbestos and mold are just a few examples of reasons that you should get a professional air quality test in your home.

Radon is a colorless and odorless gas that is the second leading cause of lung cancer each year; taking the lives of about 21,000 Americans per year.  All soil emits low levels of decaying uranium, which in turn also emits radon.  It normally disperses through the soil in outdoor air but can also reach into your home through gaps in the foundation reaching unsafe levels in the basement or crawl space of your home.  The EPA level states that any home needs to be at or below a 4.0 pico curies per liter (pCi/L) to be safe, with the average indoor level ranging at about 1.3 pCi/L.  If you are buying a home, or just aren’t sure what your levels in your current home are, contact a professional today to set up a radon test to make sure you are not buying or living in a unsafe home.

Similar to radon, asbestos also occurs naturally in soil; however it once was common to install asbestos into homes for heat resistant purposes.  It has long been used in building materials such as plaster and glue, as well as insulation for heating pipes in basements.  Modern homes are now built using alternative materials, but homes or buildings built before 1978, like a lot of the homes in Buffalo, still may contain asbestos containing materials.  Though these fibers can only become airborne if disturbed, an aging home or building may have deteriorated piping insulation or repairs done that can release these fibers into the air.  With a high amount of risk involved, it is rarely a good idea to remove asbestos yourself.  If you suspect that materials in your home contain asbestos, contact a professional today to come and inspect or sample these areas to ensure your home is safe and you are not breathing in toxic asbestos fibers.

Mold and fungus are common indoor air pollutants, living and growing on warm and humid conditions inside your home.  They are usually caused by leaky pipes, humid basements or attics with ventilation issues.  Health issues include trouble breathing, sinus stuffiness or skin irritation.  It can also induce early onset asthma in small children due to their lower immune systems.  Although sensitivity varies from person to person, it is still harmful to ingest for anyone in your home.  If there is visible mold in your home there isn’t any reason to test it, for any mold growth is bad mold growth.  The simple step to remediate and prevent future mold growth would be the next step.  However each case is different and you may not always be able to see where the mold is growing.  If this is the case you would want to do indoor air quality testing to get quantitative numbers as to what may be going on in your home.  Once these are lab tested and the numbers are evaluated, a better idea of what steps to take next will be available to you for the cleaning of the air quality in your home.